Monday, May 31, 2010

Blithe Spirit and The Full Monty


Well I finally made my way back to my blog. Although I am not thoroughly convinced I was missed. Since I finished The Butler Did It last August with Richmond Players alot has transpired.

I traveled to Qld to be a part of my brothers wedding and on my return started work at Nepean Waterside Restaurant at the Log Cabin in late September. Work was insanely busy on the build up to Christmas and with the children and their birthdays and extra activities there was not much time for anything else. So I was resigned to the fact I would not be able to perform again until 2010.

Auditions for Some Like it Hot were held in January. With not enough actors at auditions to cast for the show it was postponed until later in the year and the cast of Blithe Spirit were auditioned from the same group of actors. I was successful in being offered the role of Edith the Maid. Edith was not a principal role but a great role none the less. I did not have alot of lines as other cast members did. I perhaps took a while longer to find her then the other cast did but after a night of hot seat with the rest of the cast I finally found her. So our journey began.

Doing Blithe was an often difficult journey. I am unsure whether it was the distraction of work, or home, or working with a hard script. I am not as experienced as the rest of the cast were and learnt alot from watching them 'between scenes'. It was quiet a wordy script and I began to understand what people meant when they said how hard it was to perform 'a Noel Coward'. The first performance at Wentworth Falls was by far the best for me. By the end of the tour when we reached Wollongong I was happy we reached the end. I felt my performance was sloppy and half hearted. The atmosphere made me feel uneasy. I have again rested my script on the shelf with the rest and moved on a wiser Actor.

So now I am performing in a Musical in a non~singing role as 4 parts of the Full Monty crew. I will be playing in Act 1 .......a Jogger, a Latino Dance Instructor and a 'Young' Woman..........and in Act 2 I will be playing Toni the 'butch' niteclub owner. As I have come to realise the are no small roles only small Actors. I am looking forward to putting my whole heart into my performances and having a bit of fun with it. The cast is quite large and it will be fun to be a member of a large cast again. It is always interesting to be involved in a new company and to see how others Direct, Produce and Perform. I will also be making a few more conscience and much wiser decisions in the future. I don't know what the future holds for me in terms of my acting...........but I have a feeling there is a turn in the road just up ahead.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you were missed. great post.

I woke up Sunday a.m. to find my blog, my 500 plus followers, my 100plus author interviews, and my 200 plus reviews gone. Blogger gave no explanation, but I think the account was hacked. Change your password often!

I have reloaded the interviews and reviews, plus redesigned the blog. But if you could, please hit the "follow" button so I can reclaim the fellow bloggers I miss. I'm still following you, as my account remained--thank goodness!
http://kellymoranauthor.blogspot.com

Thank you!
Kelly Moran
XO