Sunday, July 6, 2008

Insight SBS experience - Beijing Olympics & Human Rights in China



Well, what an interesting night it was. Firstly we missed the turn off and were 20 minutes late. After a quick dash in the rain, a visit to the bathroom and a touch up we were ready to enter the Green Room. A mixture of faces. Some casually dressed, some in suits, a Tibetan Monk, and a handful of people dressed similar to my friend Michele and I. We all seemed to have the same white stickers on our lapels that said 'Focus Group'. I was about to find out what this meant. A couple of big screen TVs were turned on, showing clips regarding the topic on human rights. We had just found a seat when we were asked to file into the studio. We were asked to remove our stickers and pointed out to specific seats (all Focus Group members were seated in the back row). Lisa Forest, Nova Peris, Michelle Engelsman, Marayke Jonkers and a few other VIP guests had already taken their seats. Jenny was chatting with crew. We were told if we had something to add to say during the show to raise our hand and Jenny would reach us........
I will not detail blow by blow the entire show. There was alot of interesting points made and at times the mood was low and Jenny lifted everyone whilst not losing momentum. All in all it was quite fascinating listening to the different views. The gentleman beside me was also part of the Focus Group but seemed to not be able to contain himself. He had his hand up frantically several times until Jenny finally asked him to speak. He seemed very pro China and in my opinion was taken aback by views by others regarding living in China. I listened attentively and believe I did learn a great deal.
However my goal was to be seen and thanks to my chatty neighbour I seemed to be on camera in profile for quite some time. I also received a full head view. Jenny did ask the Focus Group to voice their opinions to the camera after the show, however I could not in all honesty profess to know a great deal on the subject and preferred to have my photo taken with Jenny and I even shook Nova's hand. I would have liked to have had a photo with Marayke.....
So all in all we had a great night, got some exposure for the show reel, visited SBS studios and even learnt a little. Baby steps...that what it was a baby step.........

No comments: